Friday, December 21, 2012

Exciting news!

This past Tuesday I was subbing in a 6th grade classroom. The day before I went in half a day in 4th grade and was told there would be a lockdown drill the next day. The teacher left her key for me and that morning I prepared the students for the drill. There are quite a few goofballs in that class so I stressed that they were to take this drill seriously. It was just a practice drill but I could see the nervousness in their eyes. What happened last Friday made this real. I'm not going to lie, I was a little nervous, too. Once we were all sitting on the floor, I kept telling them that these drills were necessary because in the event of a real lockdown, we would know what to do to be safe.

It was there, on the floor, that I realized that even though they are 6th graders, they are still babies. Just 12 years old. They are the oldest at school and we stress that and we stress that they need to be mature, independent, and an example to the lower grades but they are still children. So that day I did what I could. I let them sit with their friends and eat snacks. We joked, we laughed, and we did word searches together. ❤

Now on to my news. As I was walking the 6th grade class to the cafeteria, the school secretary informed me that the principal wanted to speak to me after school. :O I had no clue why but I knew I had done nothing wrong, took a deep breath, and went on with my day. The dismissal bell rings and there I am waiting. The principal was in a meeting so I had plenty of time to sit there and pretend not to be a little nervous. Haha!

I finally walk into her office and she tells me that she saw my name on a list of applicants for a new tutoring program that will begin in January and wants to discuss my background in education. Long story short, she offered me the job. Starting in January, I will be working with 5th graders struggling with Reading and Math. I will help prepare them for the STAAR test. You might think, "Tutoring? Not a big deal." But it is for me. My certification may be up to 4th grade but this still gives me the chance to teach. To put what I've learned to practice. To really do what I love. I enjoy subbing but I don't really get to do anything. There is no way of me knowing what grade I'll be in or what they'll be working on so I can't really prepare anything. It's only 18 hours a week so I'll still get to sub. I am excited! I can't wait to begin! It's not where I want to be but God wants me here right now and it's a start. 

I found this on Pinterest yesterday and I know it is not a coincidence. 

*Update: I cannot believe I forgot to mention this when I wrote this post but I sold my first product on TpT!!! My store is still a work in progress and there isn't anything there but letter vests and I sold one!! If it was you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! :D

I'm going to spend Christmas break stalking visiting 5th grade blogs. If there are any blogs you think I should visit, please let me know. I follow a few but I know there may be some I don't know about. 


Speaking of things that may be unknown, did you know Alison over at Teaching Maths with Meaning is having a giveaway? $25 to TpT! There are a few hours left to enter, so click the pic to head to her blog!



Let us continue praying for the families of Sandy Hook Elementary and the entire community of Newtown, CT. The holidays are not going to be easy for them. May God comfort them as only He knows how. They were our babies, and our colleagues. They were gone too soon. 



7 comments:

  1. Congratulations Bren! That is very exciting! It's amazing how the Lord provides in unexpected ways!

    Becca
    First Grade in Foxwell Forest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! It IS amazing! He truly knows the desires of our hearts!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I am nervous about our next practice lockdown. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! My very first job after internship was subbing and tutoring...What a small world...That year I went with the flow and was hired the next year as a full time teacher. The Lord said He will provide and He always does!!
    Merry Christmas!
    Christy
    Mrs. Christy’s Leaping Loopers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Bren! That's exciting! You're going to do great! Also, congrats on your first sale! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marcy! I hope you had a wonderful holiday! :)

      Delete
  5. Bren, I wanted to let you know that I'm hosting my first linky party called "What a Gift!" It's a RACK {Random Acts of Christmas Kindness} linky where you love on and give to other bloggers! I'd love for you to come over and link up! I thought it might be something that you would like to do (especially with your TPT store! Congrats on that first sale--the first of many more to come!} "What a Gift" RACK Linky

    Merry Christmas!
    Becca
    First Grade in Foxwell Forest

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! I read and respond to each one, either here or by email! :)

Pin It button on image hover