Friday, March 29, 2013

Five for Friday! (My first one!)

Hi, friends! 

I have got to get better at blogging! I wanted to link up with Kacey last Friday but that didn't happen. You'll read in one of my randoms why. I hope you don't mind if there's a little bit of last week in my five for Friday this week. Before I start talking about my week, I need to reveal my lie from the Two Truths and lie post.

1. I do not like icing on cake or cupcakes. I scrape most of it off and just eat the bread. 


Truth. Shocking, I know. It depends on the frosting and if it's 2 inches high, scrape! I love cakes and cupcakes, just with a little bit of frosting. :)

2. I got stung by lots of bees when I was 4 and spent 3 days in the hospital.


Lie. Here's why it's a lie. I started off writing the post and then realized all were truths so I just reworded this one. I didn't get stung by a bee until I was 24. I remember when I had surgery on my ankle at the age of 14, the sweet nurse that was going to insert the IV said it would hurt like a bee sting, That didn't help.

3. My sister and I were born on the same day, 10 years apart.

Truth. Yup. August 13. No C-sections. I remember I was at Wal-mart picking out my birthday present (It was a Barbie gymnast, the first Barbie that could bend her legs!) when they called my dad over the intercom. He had a phone call.  My mother's water had broken. I spent my 10th birthday at the hospital without my doll. I eventually got it but still.


1. Kitty baths!

Last Friday was "Bathe your cat" day at my house. I was going to blog after the baths. (You'll see why I didn't blog in a bit.)
  I have three cats so I had work to do. My sister came over to help and all was going well (no squirming or crying, they barely move lol) until...


I went to the bathroom to prepare the bath for the last cat. He's a lot bigger than the one in the picture and would not fit in the kitchen sink.  At this point, I had taken of my tennis shoes because I was going to get in the shower. On my way back to the kitchen to get the shampoo... PAIN! 

SugarHoneyIceTea!  

 At first I thought it was a sticker from the backyard but it was like 10 times the pain. 

Half of this was lodged in my foot. 

 Pretty, ain't it?

Of course, the first thing I did was yank it out. Then began the waterfall of blood. Like seriously, I have never bled this much. There were puddles of blood all over the kitchen floor where I had yanked it out. It was pretty deep and I was afraid I was going to need medical attention if I could not get the bleeding to stop. As much as it hurt, I knew I had to apply pressure. Thank God the bleeding stopped. I limped around the rest of that day but I'm all better now. :) 

2. I went shopping! 
 (The colors would not come out right when I took a picture so I had to get it online.)
 Love this blouse! 

 I have become slightly obsessed with chevron.

 
 I love the combination of grey and mustard!

I am loving all my new clothes! 

I also got some fun colors to dress up my nails. 
  


3. I am a Smoothie Queen!   

I have recently become obsessed with smoothies. I've even got a Pinterest board devoted solely to smoothies. :) I have one every morning.


These are a few of the ingredients I use for a Green Monster Smoothie. You can add your favorite fruits. I mix different combinations of bananas, strawberries, peaches, mangoes, blueberries, and pineapple. For the base I've been using milk. You can add whichever milk you drink. Cow, almond or soy. :) I'm going to start using chilled green tea instead of milk. I'll let you know how that goes. lol To thicken it, sometimes I add peanut butter, other times I add Greek yogurt. You can even add ice cream or frozen yogurt! I cut up all the fruit, put it in zip-log bags, and freeze them. In the morning I just grab a baggie, pour everything in the blender and voila! 

Oh and if you don't like spinach, I PROMISE you WON'T taste it.

And now my favorite addition: Ch-ch-ch-Chia Seeds! Yup, the same seeds used to grow the chia pets. 


I've only been drinking it with Chia seeds for a week and I see a difference already. I am fuller longer and usually when I wog my three miles, my calves start to hurt around the second mile, and with the chia seeds, no pain! I haven't changed anything else except for the chia seeds and spinach, so it's gotta be one of the two.  


 It worked for Popeye! 
You can read about chia seeds here, here, or here. :)

4. Easter eggs and marshmallows! 


I whipped up this cute and simple activity for my kiddos to practice finding perimeter, area, and volume. Poor things spent last week and this week taking benchmark tests and reviewing for the STAAR, I wanted to do something fun, yet educational with them. I have A LOT of plastic Easter eggs because I go a little bit crazy at the after Easter sales. I mean, 10 cents for a dozen plastic eggs, you know I am getting them all! 



 
They chose an egg from the basket and solved the division problem that was inside. Each answer was a number between 1 and 20.



 Once they solved the problem, if their answer was 14, I gave them card #14 and they had to solve the word problem on the card and write their answer on the recording sheet.

 

 They used marshmallows to aid their problem solving. They also helped them get a better understanding of perimeter, area and volume. I didn't get any pictures of volume or area, dang it!


I have a table at the very end of the hall. It's a very long hall. It sounds like the title of a scary book, doesn't it? 

 "The Table at the End of the Hall"

Here's a short video I want to share with you. 

A chef in the making!

5. Smartie Pants!


My kiddos will start taking the state tests next week. Next Tuesday and Wednesday to be exact. I'm putting this cute little treat together for them. I have 29 kiddos and I'm only half way done!

 
 I just printed the pants on colored paper and voila! I made a front view and a back view. I used a glue stick to close the pants along the sides and the bottom of the legs. I put a piece of scotch tape on the back of the Smarties to hold them in place. 

I can't wait to deliver them! :)

If you'd like a copy of the pants and the tags, you can snag a copy here. I erased my name and left it blank so you can write in your own.  I've shared it so that if you have the link, you can access it. Let me know if you can't.

Well, that's all, folks! 
If you read this entire post, THANK YOU! I think it's the longest one I've written. I am off to finish the Smartie Pants and battle some walkers! 

 

5 comments:

  1. My mom and I used to send each other cards with pictures of wet cats on them. That picture made me laugh!

    We have talked about doing the spinach smoothie thing for a while but haven't been brave enough yet!

    I love your Smartie Pants! I may have to use that one!

    I love your blog - I'm a new follower!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans


    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your foot, Bren. I pass out at the site of blood...so I would have been on the floor and my hubby would have had to apply pressure.

    Our kiddos start tests next week too...Love that STAAR. We're (3rd grade) is taking a field trip on Tuesday:) I do love those smarty pants and I bet the kids will too:)
    Deniece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Smart Pants look so cute - what a terrific idea!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your foot is okay! Sounds painful. I also love your idea with the Easter eggs. Although I am not a math teacher, it will definitely be kept in mind for next year to put a little festive touch in the classroom. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OW!! YOUR POOR FOOT! I'm Your Newest Follower-Heather

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! I read and respond to each one, either here or by email! :)

Pin It button on image hover